Saturday, August 30, 2014

One Year: The Spark

8.30.14

I like to think I have a good memory. For example, I remember five years ago sitting in Drama 120, UNC's prerequisite for Drama majors, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, ready to learn. My professor talked about a spark, one that was very, very alive in my soul as a freshman. I was ready to learn. Ready to grow. Ready to become me. He went on to explain that there would be many times during college your spark would diminish; it would turn to this shred of light that would seem easier to extinguish than reignite.

On my last day of class senior year, I thought back to Drama 120. Did I still have that spark? Yes, though it had morphed. It was now running on L.A. dreams and the realization that college was not the end of my education. I didn't need a classroom; I would always be a student learning to navigate my life.

Today marks my one year anniversary in L.A. That spark from five years ago? It's still alive. In fact this year it's grown brighter. It's also seen its darkest times. It's peaked and valleyed much more than college and I couldn't be happier.  It means that I'm learning. I'm messing up. I'm succeeding. I'm failing. I'm growing.

So here's to that spark: may it shine just a bit brighter next year and all those that follow!    

No comments:

Post a Comment